The student will work on an interdepartmental project that aims to mitigate antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in Canadian Broiler Chicken production. Specific duties may include:
• Collection of broiler chicken fecal and environmental (wildlife and surface water) samples under various feeding programs (organic, raised without antibiotic, conventional) throughout the Fraser Valley.
• Preparation of microbiological culture media and reagents.
• Isolation and identification of bacteria such as Enterococcus, Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumonia) as well as E. fergusonii and other Enterobacteriaceae
• Characterization of bacterial isolates phenotypically by conducting antimicrobial susceptibility testing and genotypically using Whole Genome Sequencing (WGS).
• Preparation of reports and manuscripts for publication.
• other duties related to those above.